The Best Guide

Mario Donelli

Mario Donelli

He's my third favourite Australian film critic (behind Margaret and David, but ahead of Leigh Paatsch) and I interviewed Mario Donelli (above) earlier this year about his judging role at a local film festival. I’m yet to take him up on his offer of a tour through the Triple J studio in Sydney, but as I bide my time here are his favourite movie picks:

“I have a couple of films I watch again and again; The Insider, Romeo + Juliet, American Beauty, Donnie Darko and Fight Club. I’m a big sucker for films that mix interesting ideas about the world and amazing visuals and a lot of charisma, you will generally find I forgive a lot of everything else. You will probably get a good mark out of me.”

What about this year? Has there been anything you have loved or really hated?

“I love early New Wave French cinema, then things like Blow Up and The Servant. I’m a big fan of contemporary French cinema and I like how they still support films that aren’t obviously commercial. Basically it was these two characters just trying to out-funny each other. It’s a shame because I know Kevin Smith is capable of greatness and he’s lovely and such a really interesting and engaging guy. Movies I’ve liked are Fantastic Mr Fox and In The Loop, Kick Ass was fantastic and Inception.”

For the Mario Donelli special-features I recommend you visit his site here, which links to the far superior blog *grumble*.

, 9 out of 10 [based on 777 votes]